Wednesday, August 5, 2015

House update

In looking back I realize I haven't written in a long time.
I have failed to update anyone, who wasn't already in the know, about our crazy house escapades. 

here it is:
“Holy shit, what the hell have we gotten ourselves into”, I think to myself as I stand in our new living room full of boxes holding our newborn son.  I think I’m about to have a panic attack with the sheer anxiety of everything that happened all at once, but I need to focus on getting organized and taking care of my son.
Let me give you a short back story, as you are probably wondering how I ended up in a new house with a new baby on basically the same day.  
My husband Nick and I have been in contract with this house for 8 months because it was a short sale.  We had hoped to close prior to the birth of our first child to get settled and make the urgent (URGENT) fixes to the house before he was here.  Because the house was a short sale, everything took twice as long as it should have, and in the interim of us waiting my husband lost his job and had been unable to find a new one.  We had stalled our efforts into getting into the house because we weren’t sure we could afford it anymore.  
But, we already had money in, approximately 7,000 dollars to be exact which is not exactly chump change in this day and age and from what we were told we would lose it if we walked away.  My dad stepped in and helped us move forward and get the mortgage we would need, and we began the whole process in January and closed on March 4th.  
I gave birth to my son on March 6th.  The moving van was at our apartment on the 7th and I came home to this disaster area on the 8th.  
I woke up in cold sweats and dry heaving for the first few nights.
There is water damage in the kitchen, and we have to get the roof repaired ASAP.  The previous owner didn’t leave any oil in the tank so my mother in law hustled to get us an overnight delivery so we would have heat.  Nothing was clean, save for the kitchen, which again my mother in law scrubbed to death.  That fridge we thought was almond colored, well now we know it’s white.
It’s been nothing but hustle hustle hustle.  Three days after my son is born my parents bring over my dog who was staying with them.  Not exactly perfect timing, but I missed my old boy.  Eleven years young, and still a mama’s boy.  Just another thing to worry about now as we’re trying to sort and clean and get used to being new parents all at the same time.
Nick goes to work and leaves me home alone with our new baby for the first time 5 days after he’s born.  We don’t currently have cable, so no tv to make some kind of noise, no internet to distract me.  Just me, a newborn, an old dog...and what’s that sound?
SQUIRRELS!
First frantic call to the first name that pops up on my iphone, here was my conversation, “you can come to tomorrow?  you’re hired” and done.  Panicking thoughts and dreams of squirrels descending on the house while we sleep do not make me relax at all!
The savior, aka Lee the trapper comes bright and early the next day.  He checks out the situation and yep, we have squirrels living in the eaves above our great room.  Awesome.  Just what I always wanted, it also explains the holes in the ceiling in that room.  As Miss Piggy would say, Yippee Skippee.  
Lee says he can start eradication asap, and so he sets the traps.  I’m not too happy about the traps since it’s either kill the squirrels or catch them and drive something like 10 miles away, and this is how the majority of rodent killers do it.
So he begins, there only seems to be one opening in the roof and he sets his trap.  Oh God, what am I doing!

And it starts, in less then a week they are gone and we can focus on other things in the house besides the fear of squirrels eating my face at night.  
We hire a roofer and get the leak to stop so we can then fix the damage.  
And I try to bring some normalcy to my life.  
This is going to be a long and arduous journey.  
But we're thankful to the family and friends who have been laborers of love for us. 

No comments: