Monday, December 12, 2011

The Act of Being Productive

Being productive; the act of producing something that will be beneficial to your day or life is something we all strive for. I try to do at least one productive thing per day, namely getting out of bed and making it to work. Usually I accomplish much more than that, but I aim for that goal every day.

I’ve had a huge bag of things I needed to shred sitting there for, oh about a month or so. I kept forgetting to bring it to work with me, since I typically wake up 15 minutes later than I intend to (thanks a lot snooze button), have to rush to get ready, make sure the dog gets out and grab everything I need to for the day.

But today! Today I remembered! Go me, epic win for today’s productivity!

I managed to get the giant bag into the car, and head out to my office. I noticed that my gas was low, so I decided to make productivity stop number 3 and get gas. I took my debit card out of my wallet, swiped it and filled my tank.

I made it to work only 10 minutes late, not too bad, and I managed to lug the giant bag (which I swear weighed 50 pounds) in from the car and to my desk. SCORE!

About an hour or two into my day, I decided to take a break and start shredding this bag of receipts, old bills and credit cards. I’m making my way through the bag with ease since I had organized it when I transferred it into this bag, since the original one ripped.

Now the next set of events, I can clearly see in my head, but can’t quite understand how I managed it.

My debit card, from this morning’s fill up fell out of my pocket. I picked it up off the floor, and tossed it towards my desk. It fell off (I do not have good aim) and landed under my chair. I decided I wasn’t going to stop what I was doing because I was being productive and I might see an email I must answer if I go anywhere near my computer. So I keep shredding.

At some point, I must have blacked out, because I picked up my card with the intention of putting it back in my pocket but I didn’t … I stuck it in the shredder! I only realized it when I woke up from my blackout that it was no longer under my chair.

Epic Fail; now I have to run to the bank, before it closes, to get a new card. So much for being productive.

Lesson learned, being productive and accomplishing something only leads to more work.

No comments: