Friday, September 11, 2009

OK so Today!?!

I was originally going to write a post about some other stuff but this happened, so I'll write about this.
My dad is THE KING of do-it-yourself. He will Macgyver the sh*t out of anything, and he's pretty good at it. Except lately I think age might be getting to him, that or his homemade "beer", (yes he even does THAT himself).
So, the hubs and I are over my parents for Labor Day, and we're talking about my car.

A 10 year old P-of-S that my dad thinks runs fantastic.
I need an oil change, again, because I do about 60 miles a day to get to work. The dad goes, "You know you still owe me for that last batch of oil I put in your car. Next time there's a sale stock up and replenish my stash" ( yes my father talks like that), "Eh, let me look at it..."
So he goes, pops the hood and checks the oil...I'm down 3 quarts of the stuff so he puts it in.

Not without reminding me to check out all the circulars for oil sales (WTF is he talking about?)

I should have realized that when my dad was checking my oil, he had already had a few, and there was one in his hand as he did it.

So, I'm driving to work on Tuesday and I smell oil. Ugh! I just figured he spilt some and it's burning off.
I still smell it Wednesday...and Thursday.
I stop for gas on Thursday and as I am sitting in my car I notice the faintest hint of smoke...is that coming from my car? YES! EFF!
The area from which my engine lives there is SMOKE COMING OUT!
And I'm 20 miles from home, again EFF~!

I manage to get home with out choking on noxious fumes.
The hubs goes out to the car to examine whatever he can, pops the hood and immediately realizes something is missing...the oil cap.
Awesome.
Call the dad.."Uh dad, did you forget to put something back when you added oil?"
"What are you talkin' about?" ( I swear he thinks he a member of Tony Sopranos mafia)
"Nick checked under the hood and the oil cap is missing"
"Impossible"
"Well then the Oil monster came and ate it"
"Don't be ridiculous"
"Well it's not there"
"How can that be?"
"I honestly don't know"
"Well can you look to see if it fell somewhere?"
"Dad, I've driven a total of 180 miles in 3 days, I think if it was loose it fell out"
"Oh, hmm well you can get a replacement"

21 dollars, an hour late for work, and bunch of aggravation later...
"Hey dad, do I still owe you money for that oil?"

No comments: